Thursday, December 14, 2006

A Different God

This is the last day of classes before exams start and the semester ends. For me, this will be the last time I get to teach some of the seniors at Christain Academy of Knoxville, and it's like seeing your kids head off to a foreign land. You're happy, but you know you're going to miss them. Terribly.

Jill will be taking her third day of medical exams. So far things seem to be going well. Please keep her in your prayers. Last night a good friend, Sharon McDuffie, stopped by and cheered her while Peter and I took care of things around the house. Earlier in the day, Marilyn and Christy Gillman kindly took little Julianne for the day, babysitting so that Jill could be at the doctors while I was at work.


That's a funny way for me to describe my job - work. It's hard for me to consider it that way. It's a missionary experience, and most of all, it's a joy. I don't don;t use those words lightly. God has allowed me to be part of life-changing opportunities. I get to make a difference - you absolutely cannot top that in my book. Sharing truths in the Bible that are of eternal consequence - it's fantastic.


Peter, Jill and I had a great devotional time last night, and Jill shared the strength of a friendship with God. We were looking at the love of God.


Psa 17:7 Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust [in thee] from those that rise up [against them].


Think about this - are the Hindus' gods loving and kind? Can the Islamic god Allah be known as kind? Will Buddhists think of their lives awashed with kindness by any overseeing source? No - study all their doctrines and you will see spiritual oversight that doesn't include love. Yet, Jehovah God is love.


Jer 32:18 Thou shewest lovingkindness unto thousands


During these times of stress, I have seen God walk me through the fire and lift my head. What a devotional adventure I've enjoyed!


My family and I have personally experienced God's love in these past few months - mainly through God's children. When we were sick, fellow Believers rushed to our aid to help us along. When the bills started mounting up, secret gifts helped us carry on. When depression hit me like a bulldozer, there were plenty of gentle hands lifting me up. These were God's people, my friends. These were Christians who have the heart to listen to God's leading, and act. You can see it, too. You can read their hearts and see their compassion and as I look, I see Jesus written all over them. Best graffiti in the world!


Psa 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness


Seriously, now - is any other god known as loving? This is one of the great truths that separates and lifts Jehovah above and beyond. He cares. He loves.