Tuesday, December 19, 2006

THE UGLIES


Luke chapter 2:

And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ[a] the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."
Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."

My favorite part of the Nativity story involves the shepherds. The shepherds were how many people would today consider junkmen or sewage workers: necessary but lowly. Unfair, but nevertheless the opinions of many. Shepherds stood out in the fields at all hours, working "overtime" with no special recognition or thanks. They did not get a chance to further their education or climb the corporate ladder. Shepherds were looked down upon in the first century that it is said that their testimony in court would not hold up due to the lowly status of their lifestyle.

Yet God chose the "lowly" to deliver the message.

I like that.

I identify with them.

Thank God for the "uglies." Thank the Lord for allowing those of us who are unattractive and menial to carry His word and have such a special ministry. These shepherds weren't vying for a new job or a higher reputation. Based upon who they were, they were "stuck" in a niche in life, yet they received honor along with the magi. isn't it interesting, just like the wise men, we would never know their names? Such is the honor of serving the Lord. The recognition comes from Him, the greatest audience anyone would ever want.

I like these fellows. Blue-collar, dirt-under-their-fingernails types of guys who were privileged to see a universal event in one moment. And, like the humble men they were, they didn't want to keep it to themselves They shared it.

So must we.

"I care not where I go, or how I live, or what I endure so that I may save souls. When I sleep I dream of them; when I awake they are first in my thoughts…no amount of scholastic attainment, of able and profound exposition of brilliant and stirring eloquence can atone for the absence of a deep impassioned sympathetic love for human souls." - David Brainerd



The above picture was from the franciscan cyberspot http://198.62.75.1/www1/ofm/sites/TSbtpict.html