Saturday, December 23, 2006

Eve of Christmas Eve


What a great time. Former students calling us and stopping by for cups of coffee and chatter. The final minute shopping. The Christmas concert tonight (I get to give the opening welcome and watch a tape of an interview I had with children about Christmas a la "Kids Say the Darnedest Things")


And Christmas letters.


I will tell you a secret.


I LOVE THEM.


I hear so many people complain about them. Send the letters to me. I love catching up with old friends.


Sure, some people brag a bit too much or give an embellishment here and there. Look, these letters are like the high school yearbook. It's a gentle ego thing and we all know it. Enjoy them! Brag about yourself! I promise I'll be impressed. Give me your latest news and your proudest accomplishments.
I thank my God upon every remembrance of you (Phil. 1:3)
I enjoy digging back into my memory and recalling your conversations, joys, challenges, victories and intelligence. I am gladdened by hearing of your growing strength in the faith. And, yes, you can throw in a few extra words about your kid winning a karate tournament or you bringing home the bowling trophy.
That's the stuff of friendship. That's the stuff I love.