Sunday, February 18, 2007

What kind of future?


Today marks the beginning of the Chinese year, and this year has the makings of an unsettling year, I am told. The Chinese Year of the Pig starts today, and fortune tellers all over the Oriental world are saying that this year will be one of violence and unrest.

The pig is one of 12 animals - one is mythical, as in the case of the dragon - based on the 12-year cycle of the Chinese zodiac, which follows the lunar calendar. Other animals include rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, snake, horse, sheep, and monkey.

According to the calendar, I was born in the year of the Pig (1959), and being a plump child, I found this revelation quite embarrassing when I first viewed the fact on a Chinese restaurant's placemat. However, Chinese culture compliments me on my position, asserting that because of this I am loyal, hard-working, and honest. Thank you.

However, this year is seen as uneasy.

I cannot disagree. With the Iraq struggle, schools in decline, natural disasters, falling morals and a self-indulgent society, I see this country facing a difficult road ahead.

Here is my best friend Jesus telling us how to cope:

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you:not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I. And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe. - John 14:27-29

The Koine Greek word for peace is eirene {i-ray'-nay} and it means not only harmony and concord but also security, safety, and prosperity. Think of it - if you are free from worry and fear, you have the open road opportunity to be prosperous! (And that means in more than just a monetary way). I also see that it means contentment. Just as the child who sits back and grins when his parents tell him to wait a few more minutes before the birthday party begins - he is happy and content with the way thinks are going. Just as the mother who sits and smiles even though the snowstorm rages outside, because she knows her house is well-secured, her husband is checking the furnace and her children are safe by the fireplace - she is at peace. Just as the frightened, lonely person is taken into the safety of close friends and relatives to have a place to stay and eat and enjoy companionship - he is surrounded with security and care.

Has this year gone to the pigs? Doesn't matter to the Christian who puts his trust in the One who sees and protects.