Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Excerpt from my last debate with an atheist

Last year I had a formal debate with an atheist. As I gave my openings I included three points that I wished the atheist to answer. Here is the opening section of my notes:

Last week my good friend Lauren Hickok, was in a terrible van wreck. Her lungs collapsed, her knees are damaged and every bone in her face is broken. At best, if she survives - a 50-50 chance right now - she will undergo years of therapy.

If I am a admirer of Nietzche, as my friend here is, then my response would be to pull the plug and let her die, for Nietsche says the true perfect human being has no room for compassion for the ailing.


If I am a Darwinist, as I believe my friend here is to be, then Lauren is to be cast aside, since only the strongest survive in the species.

If I am to follow Buddhism, then I could care less about her suffering, for my concerns are only about myself.

Yet, I believe in a God, a God who shows compassion. That’s what this debate is about: God. I will show you how reasonable it is to prove that there is a God, for if there is no God, there is no compassion, there are no universal rules, there is no standard of conduct - rape is okay, incest is okay, and the pulling of the plug on Lauren would be okay, which is reprehensible.

(SECOND ROUND)


Let me first say that I have no fear in saying that the Bible is the Word of God and shows many truths which have been unanswered by the agnostic.


My I give a few questions to our friend here:

Micah chapter 5 and verse 2 says that the Messiah, God’s son coming to save mankind would be born in Bethlehem. 400 years later, the exact prophecy was fulfilled to the very tiny town. How would you explain that ourtside of the supernatural?


Psalm 22: tell us exactly what this suffering Savior of mankind would experience on the cross, in shocking detail, and the passage was written 700 years before it happened....700 years before the idea of death by a form of punishment called crucifixion was ever thought of. How could that be made up outside of the supernatural realm?

The very building blocks of physics known as Quantum Mechanics state that a proton, neutron and electron have no NATURAL way of staying together in an atom...since they are positive, neutral and negative forces, all NATURAL science states that since opposites attract, they should instantly bond and create an atomic explosion...yet they don’t. Outside of the supernatural realm, how is this possible?

My atheist friend never answered any of these questions.