Saturday, October 07, 2006

Response to John Lennon's "Imagine"

"Imagine there’s no Heaven
It’s easy if you try…"

Actually, I can think of few things harder for me than to imagine that there is no peaceful goal for mankind than the assurance of an eternal rest beyond the life we now live.

"No hell below us
Above us only sky …"

Universal salvation without repentance seems to me rather like a chess game with no winner, or perhaps no gameboard at all…the whole reasoning for the set-up is skewered.

"Imagine all the people
Living for today "

Uh, that’s why we had the Serial Killer running around Phoenix, shooting at random. He was living for the thrill of today with no thought of remorse or justice in the hereafter.

"Imagine there’s no countries
It isn’t hard to do"

Well, that’d make the World Cup kind of confusing, wouldn’t it?

"Nothing to kill or die for"

Personally, I’d fight pretty hard for a good slab of beef ribs with an ear of corn and a dish of ice cream, but then that’s just me.

"And no religion too"

If you mean liturgical ritual for the sake of ceremony and not a relationship with God, then I agree, but I don’t think that’s your whole thinking here.

"Imagine all the people
Living life in peace"

That’s Heaven, John

"You may say that I’m a dreamer
But I’m not the only one"

I think we all want a life beyond this one filled with joy and peace, but my dream is made a reality through the Word.

"I hope someday you’ll join us
And the world will be as one"

I would say contrariwise that if you had seen faith in Jesus Christ in its pure unadulterated form, you would have felt differently. I wish that you would have joined us.

"Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can"

Well, yes I can. I’m on a teacher’s salary

"No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world"

I am in agreement, but John, if you had read the Bible and saw the clear picture of Jesus, you’d see that this is the Christian’s joy, of bringing gifts of all kinds to the peoples of the world, especially the one great Gift.