Saturday, October 07, 2006

"Merry Christmas" vs. "Happy Holidays"

I've been contacted already about the upcoming fight to keep the word "Christmas" in our holiday season. Buttons are being offered to me to wear to show an aggressive love for the "Christmas" word in order to let the world know that I will not neutralize the effect of Christ in the holidays.

I admire the people who sustain these drives to fight the alteration of our seasonal language, but one thing still itches and I cannot seem to scratch it. "Have a Merry Christmas" - we spend a lot of time protecting the sentence but very little in promoting the Savior.

Come now, tell me of an aggressive outreach taken by Christians during the holiday season. A Christmas cantata? A light display? A food plate?

2 Timothy 4:2 says "preach the word; be ready in season {and} out of season"...well, this is a season for sharing the Jesus we know and love. What kind of outreach do we have? Not to sound sarcastic, but is it limited to fighting over phrasing?

I'm outwardly seeking ways to give the truth of Jesus this Christmas season. I do it every year - it's my birthday present to the Savior. Please understand, I do agree with those who would defend our right to express a Jesus-first holiday. I'd just like us to give a reason for the fight.