Friday, January 05, 2007


I headed up to Kroger's tonight to pick up and few odds and ends and met some fellows stranded on the side of the store's driveway. Their month-old car had cut out in the middle of the intersection and the two Spanish-speaking gentlemen were trying to tell me of their dilemma. Strange to me that in this crowded thoroughfare that nobody else stopped to try to help these men - even lean out and ask if they could put in a call via cell phone.


I'm not mechanically inclined but I offered the best help I could, ending in assisting them in pushing the car to a nearby parking lot and trotting over to a local auto parts store. Surprising to me, as I explained the situation to the on-duty manager I was met with a cold stare and a quick refusal to help: "We're not mechanics here. We don't do that kind of stuff."


You don't do what kind of stuff? Try to help a needy motorist?


I'm amazed at the diminshing desire to help our neighbors. We seem to treat others as strangers who should not be dealt with at any costs.


The story is told of Catherine Booth of the Salvation Army of years ago.


"Wherever Catherine Booth went," said Campbell Morgan, "humanity went to hear her. Princes and peeresses merged with paupers and prostitutes." She was known as the matriarch of the organization, and people loved her compassion.
One night, Morgan shared in a meeting with Mrs. Booth and heard her speak to a huge crowd of blue collar workers. Her message was powerful and brought many to Christ. After the meeting, Morgan and Mrs. Booth went to be entertained at a fine home; and the lady of the manor said, "My dear Mrs. Booth, that meeting was dreadful"


"What do you mean, dearie?" asked Mrs. Booth.


"Oh, when you were speaking, I was looking at those people opposite to me. Their faces were so terrible, many of them. I don't think I shall sleep tonight!"


"Why, dearie, don't you know them?" Mrs. Booth asked.


The hostess replied, "Certainly not!"


"Well, that is interesting," Mrs. Booth said. "I did not bring them with me from London; they are your neighbors!"