Tuesday, January 16, 2007


but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified. - 1 Cor. 9:27 (NAS)


The tests and appeals of a sinful world are enough to drive a Christian away from any profitable ministry. Paul was so adamant about wanting to be pure that he uses a powerful word here in the Greek. The word disipline means "I pummel my body."


The word is hupopiazo {hoop-o-pee-ad'-zo} and means literally = hit under the eye and figuratively knock out the bodily impulses.


What a powerful word! What a dedication of the soul and spirit to be able to want to cause pain to oneself in order to present oneself as pure and spotless before God! No, this is not talking about self-flagellation...this refers to self-denial, and the ability to turn away from lusts. The eyes of the Christian are on the bigger prize - that of pleasing Christ Jesus.