Sunday, November 19, 2006

When things don't seem to add up


Ephesians 1:10-11:


"...with a view to an administration suitable to the fullness of the times, {that is,} the summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens and things on the earth. In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will..."


"Sum up” (anakephalaiomai ) was a word used in Paul's time to tell of the adding up a column of figures and writing the sum up at the top. Paul writes that God will be sure to see that all things “add up” at the end.


This is especially important for us Christians to know. Did you ever feel like things weren't "adding up" when you look around you? I remember when I was being called to a church in the San Jose years ago. I received numerous phone calls from the search committee, being interviewed over the course of weeks. Finally the vote came one evening and we waited in our home to hear the results.


Imagine my shock when I found out that I had been voted in by the percentage needed, but right before the vote, a faction had "pre-counted" the possible votes and worked the group to change the percentage needed. i won - but I didn't


I was crushed. Went into deep depression. Why would God allow me to be so close... and yet take it away?


It was about six years later whne I ran into a pastor from the San Jose area and told him of the "near vote" I had experienced.


"Oh, that church?" he asked. "Listen, it was a good thing you didn't pack up everything and move out west. That church was falling apaprt from the inside. Within a year of that vote, the church folded. Closed its doors. Brad, the best thing in the world was for you not to be called to that church."


I couldn't see God's overall picture. It didn't seem to "add up" to me...but God was correct (as He always is) in the final tally.


And so it is with His work in our lives, even to the final days when we will go to be with Him.


Thank you, Jesus.