Monday, November 06, 2006

Thankful memories

In this all-too-quick life, a few cherished memories:


Mr. Orlando Kliewer trying to teach me German in one quick evening; we laughed so hard that Orlan fell off the kitchen chair and his kids thought he was having a heart attack.

Seeing over 30 teens come to Christ at a youth rally we had organized in Knoxville Tennessee. No words can describe the feeling.

Seeing my son Nicholas (now 18) go nutty when he discovered "Santa's footprints" (actually baking soda dust in a stencil) heading to the fireplace in our home.

My precious wife Jill planning and carrying out a surprise birthday party at the Red Lobster while I was an interim pastor in North Carolina; over sixty people showed up. I was shocked that so many people even knew me, let alone liked me.

Having a Bible study in the cozy English kitchen of our dear friends the Hydes during our stay in England. How I miss them!

Finally, finally getting my doctorate and my whole family coming to Indiana to see me, especially my very favorite mother in law of all time, Marlene Livesay.

The Thanksgiving when Jill and I, newly married, had 13 people over for the dinner; most had never celebrated Thanksgiving before. Smashed them into our apartment. We invited anybody who would come. What a riot!

Leading my first ever convert to the Lord; a prisoner in a medium security prison in South Carolina. I was stunned and overjoyed. I was 18 at the time.

Getting to see the birth of my three children and realizing the dedication Jill has to go through that brutal pain of delivery.

Seeing my first novel published. I still remember the shock. Why would anyone want to read my stuff?

The true and faithful friends I have on staff at the Christian Academy of Knoxville.

Seeing my father -in-law Robert Livesay play Simeon in the Christmas pageant. That's one of my favorite parts of the Christmas story.

The true and faithful friends I have as students at the Christian Academy of Knoxville. How did I deserve such good students? Two years running...

Getting together with West Park Baptist friends each Christmas season for the holiday outreach. It's a time of friendship I literally count the days until the enjoyment of the event.

Dan Prince stopping by to say hello and chat a bit.

Matt Mueke seeing me at the football game and letting me know he's doing okay.

My son Nicholas' laugh.

My "adopted" niece Ruthie Polson. She'll always be Ruthie, not Ruth, to me.

The times the Polson family and our family got together at Chili's or Ryans and had no plans for the evening other than to run our mouths all night. Man, what great therapy.

Any time my brother Brent calls.

Christmas morning, before anyone gets up and I can spend a precious quiet time thanking the Lord for giving me such a wonderful life.



I thank my God upon every remembrance of you. - Phl 1:3