Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Reality of Frustration


Just as a baseball pitcher who eases up on his fastball and surrenders a home run, we Christians can succumb to lapses in our walk with God and suffer great frustration. Much like a race car driver, any mistake we make can impact so many others around. There are times when I get so upset with my failures that I feel like hiding from God in embarrassment.

Many times I just get sick of me.

Billy Graham said "The Christian life is not a constant high. I have my moments of deep discouragement. I have to go to God in prayer with tears in my eyes, and say, 'O God, forgive me,' or 'Help me.'"

Pitfalls. Mistakes. Blunders. Failings. We all face them, but to the Christian, they represent an open door. An embarrassing and humble one, to be sure, but a door nonetheless. At the door's threshold stands Jesus, saying," reach out your hand, and I will pick you up." We wonder why we haven't lifted our heads to see Him standing there in the first place. This is the point: to remember to keep looking up to Jesus.

Isaiah 26:3
Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.


-------------------

"God may thunder His commands from Mount Sinai and men may fear, yet remain at heart exactly as they were before. But let a man once see his God down in the arena as a Man, - suffering, tempted, sweating, and agonized, finally dying a criminal's death - and he is a hard man indeed who is untouched. "
... J. B. Phillips, Your God is Too Small [1953]