Thursday, August 31, 2006

THE DEPTH OF GOD'S WORK IN US

In virtually every home in America, there is an office of some sort. It’s where Dad or Mom does their letter-writing, bill-paying and general accounting of affairs – you could say it’s the “thought center” of the home. Many a time the rest of the family will give wide berth to the head of the family who sits in that office and puts his mind to work. Why? They know that concentration time is for the care and protection of the home. The children may not be aware of what exactly Dad is doing when he is slaving away at the income tax forms or fervently pounding away on the computer in order to finish a work project, but they rest assured that Dad is taking care of them.

If you ponder that thought and put it in a spiritual realm, you’ll begin to understand the workings of our Father, realizing that even though there’s no way we could be aware of all of His workings, we can still honor and respect His watchcare nonetheless. As much as I could cram into this study I would be the first to agree that this book is but a scratch in the dirt when considering the universal knowledge, power and majesty of God. Psalm 145:3 clearly states, "Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised, and his greatness is unsearchable."

I have to raise my eyebrows whenever I hear someone giving the impression that they know what God is up to. I’ve heard people try to summarize all of God’s omnipotance and omniscience into a bite-size paragraph and I have to cringe. God's grandness is farther than any credible attempt at summarizing it. When thinking of God's knowledge of all his ways, the great king David says,
"Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain it." (Ps. 139:6; cf. v. 17).