Monday, August 21, 2006

Lighthouses and other thoughts


I love lighthouses; both their aesthetic beauty and their purpose. They not only give us an unusual and attractive presence, they also save lives. This lighthouse is located in

I cannot, simply cannot find my way through life without the daily guidance of my Lord. This lighthouse is located in Point Loma. It reminds me of the structurally sound and comforting strength I find in Jesus Christ.

You, LORD, are my lamp; the LORD turns my darkness into light.
- 2 Samuel 22:29

-------------------------------------------------------

Our 18 year old son Nicholas will be heading to East Tennessee State University this Thursday for orientation. We visited ETSU over the weekend and were impressed by the friendly and can-do-it atmosphere! Please keep Nicholas in your prayers as he makes this big step in his life.

--------------------------

I was digging through my sermon files and found this excellent story. Here's a great little illustration on anger...

There was a little boy with a bad temper, who would fly off in a rage at the slightest provocation. His father wanted to help him learn of this danger, so he gave him a bag of nails and told him that every time he lost his temper, to hammer a nail in the back fence.

It was a hard task. The first day the boy had driven 37 nails into the fence. He learned about the dangers...Then it gradually dwindled down. He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails into the fence. Finally the day came when the boy didn't lose his temper at all. He told his father about it and the father suggested that the boy now pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper.

The days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father that all the nails were gone. The father took his son by the hand and led him to the fence. He said, "You have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence. The fence will never be the same. When you say things in anger, they leave a scar just like this one. It won't matter how many times you say I'm sorry, the wound is still there. "