Saturday, August 18, 2012

Week one reflections

The first week of school is under our belt.  This group of students are, for the most part, ready and able to take on the studies at hand.  Each class is designated as a literary society, from Beta Gamma to Omega Rho, and the questions on the study of Heaven have been increasing.  I am happily exhausted and encouraged by the seriousness and yet energetic attitude of the sophomores.

There are exceptions, of course.  Of special note is one particular student whom I was told is a "self appointed class clown.". How frustrating was his first day whenever he realized the class was intent on serious Bible study and building teamwork within the classroom.  His "look at me" efforts went for naught.  I pray the Lord continues to take away his pride and shows him how to aim his energies in a more positive light.

Our initial study was in Christology but I am moving toward Ouranology (the study of Heaven) for the first full week.  We will then blend the doctrine of Christ into this as we move on.  We have also started the initial stages of Koine Greek including transliteration and the alphabet, along with learning a few words such as kai ("and"), kainos ("new"), ouranos ("heaven"), and theos ("God").  

Lots of questions about our subject material.  Lots of questions about Heaven.  Good note-taking.  Leadership within the rooms is already taking shape.  One football player is showing a genuine, almost manic intrigue with the study of the New Earth.

Right now it is the weekend and I am immobile from a severe boil that has run rampant on my thigh.  It is so massive that I can hardly walk.  I am applying medication and hopefully will see it reduce enough for me to make it to school on Monday.

μειζοτέραν τούτων οὐκ ἔχω χαρὰν, ἵνα ἀκούω τὰ ἐμὰ τέκνα ἐν ἀληθείᾳ περιπατοῦντα. 

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in the truth." - 3 John 1:4