Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The personalities come out

Today's work was more challenging.  Q is a student with very little interest in the things of the Bible; she's not rebellious, just overly casual to the Scriptural part of the lesson.  It's a shame.  I can see a dullness flicker over her face when it comes time to open our Bibles.  I pray she gets an energy from on high - perhaps she needs salvation.  I'll keep an eye on her as we get deeper into the year's study.

There were a few groans in being quizzed on the Koine Greek alphabet (the second set of letters).  It helps me see the Maginot Line set as far as education: one group attacks every challenge with vigor, another  mulls over the benefits of doing so and responds  if it feels like it is in their favor, and still a third resists.

I let the class know that this is the way it must be.  "I'm not here to be your friend, " I told one class.  " but I'm here to prepare you on the 2 Timothy 2:2 principle.  I am teaching you to be teachers to others, and you then continue the line of Scriptural teaching as you lead them in the ways to instruct others in the Word.  None of this is going to be easy, but it is amazingly important. " Their reception is good, especially one young man, K, who took it as an exciting challenge.  "Let's do it, then," he said.

Well said.
 Let's grow up and do it, students.