Friday, October 03, 2008

Stay with Your Strengths


If you ever want to see diversification in action, stop by a local school sometime. In my years of teaching, I had friends who would wear numerous hats during the course of their job. One friend I knew taught history, coached volleyball, taught a foreign language, led a Social Studies class, and did out-of-class counseling... every day! Now that's diversifying!


The problem is, all he wanted to do was teach just one subject. That never happened, though. The school district needed teacher who could handle numerous subjects.


Spreading yourself around can be good - especially in the area of learning new trades - but it can also have its hazards.


Sometimes companies’ ideas on diversifying can raise a few eyebrows. I know that I was caught off-guard whenever I read a UPI story entitled “British Grocer Offers Dental Treatments. Now, our local Kroger’s has an indoor bank as well as a Starbucks, but the dental office was a new concept to me altogether. Sure enough, there was the story out of Manchester England. Grocery shoppers who would like to have a bit of teeth cleaning or a cavity filled can park their shopping cart and stroll on into the private dental clinic within the Sainsbury store.
In fact, the check-up fee of $28 dollars is among the lowest in the region, beating out the National Health Service charges. The Sainsbury's stores are making these dental services available seven days according to the Daily Telegraph.


Hmmm. Not a bad idea although I am not sure that I want to hear the whine of a drill while I’m walking the dairy aisle.


Diversification can get pretty radical. I’ve read about soft-drink companies buying up theater chains and liquor companies purchasing fried-chicken outlets. Sometimes this “spreading out” works. Sometimes not.


The same happens to me whenever I start freewheeling in my walk with the Lord. I find reasons to get on a rabbit trail instead of intensifying my walk with Jesus. I might get immersed in the social aspects of a Bible study group rather than the Bible itself. I will be more concerned with the number within a study group rather than the quality of Scripture and the time we spend in God's word. I might spend more time in my clothing preparation for church than in my spiritual readiness to hear what God has for me. You see where I'm coming from?


All the other stuff is dross. I don't want divesification in my walk with Jesus. I really do desire one goal:


that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; (Phllpn 3:10)