Friday, June 13, 2008

Why don't...

... more people appreciate the writings of James Thurber? The man's writings were some of the funniest stories I've ever read. Same goes for a now-obscure writer named Robert Benchley.

...we have an Opera Day festival, where everyone can attend an opera in their home town? For that matter, why does a ticket for a decent opera ticket cost more than my car? Can any run-of-the-mill guy like myself have a chance of getting a ticket?

...people learn decent manners in doing business? I never cease to be amazed at the belief that rudeness equals power which equals an advantage.

...we have a church service where you simply walk in, open your Bible and get right into a good full-hour to 90 minutes of intensive study (with some good Greek and Hebrew explanations)without any other parts of a program . No fifty-minute preliminaries of announcements and (please don't get me wrong) endless choruses of music. Just a good solid Bible study and no-frills teaching. Show me a church like that and I'll be asking for directions.