Monday, June 16, 2008

Freedom


1 Peter 2:15-16
For such is the will of God that by doing right you may silence the ignorance of foolish men. {Act} as free men, and do not use your freedom as a covering for evil, but {use it} as bondslaves of God.


My son Peter and I had a good talk last night after the college Bible study. We were talking about the freedom that graduating Christian high school students have. When they get that diploma, they feel a rush of emotion; they are finally free!


Free to be considered an adult in many ways.


Many ways.


But I told Peter that what puzzles me is what many Christian teens feel is the true exercise of that freedom.


(I will cite you examples of those who have crossed my path in these many years of youth ministry, so you won't think I'm just spouting off.)


- "Freedom" to go to an NC 17 movie

-"Freedom" to start buying lottery tickets

- "Freedom" for unrestricted premarital sex

-"Freedom" to imbibe in alcohol

- "Freedom" to ignore or belittle the very parents who have raised them



I'm not going to do finger-wagging; the Holy Spirit gives the necessary conviction to the Christian. It's just... I guess I'm puzzled. The word "free" is eleutheros and it truly means becoming unrestrained, but it means in the freedom from the Law and the freedom to enjoy life... and still honor God.


Forgive me personal take on this, but since it's my blog, I'll tell you how I enjoyed this freedom when I "let the chains go" of graduation from the same.


- I had the freedom to jump in my car and tour the United States and visit other churches - from Georgia to South Dakota to California - and see how other people worshiped. I spent time in churches as big as 5,000 and as small as 12. I went to rescue missions and saw heartfelt and open worship. I visited inner city churches, suburban churches, and rural storefronts to see people enjoy a special reserved time with Jesus and each other. That freedom to visit was like another college course. I'm going to write a book about those two years on the road.


- I had the freedom to look at temptation and see how real Jesus was to me. When I had no earthly peers to monitor my activity as I was on the road, I grew in my walk with Jesus. Is He really my best friend? Is He real in my life? When I was on the road, anywhere from Nevada to New York, I faced a lot of personal crossroads, and that's when I saw my walk with Jesus strengthen.


- I had the freedomn to test my faith and God's grace at the same time. You see, at the age of 21 I made a vow to the Lord that I would travel aroud the USA and speak to any church, school, or group that would have me, and I would never ask for money. Not at all. If the Lord wanted me to continue, the money would be there. I cannot tell you how many times enough dollars were pushed into my hand at the last minute so that I could make it to the next meeting place in the next state in order to minister. God gave me an epic answer in showing His faithfulness.


That's what I feel that the experience of freedom did for me.


And somehow alcohol or a lottery ticket will never come near the joy I experienced in that freedom I knew. And still know today.