Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Cold Winter?

It's a bit chilly this morning, and I am reminded of the shorts news article I read yesterday, claiming that this winter could be the coldest in ten years. Happily for us, we have a gas fireplace upstairs and a wood fireplace on the bottom floor. No use taking chances! I'm going out today to check our woodpile, but I am fairly certain we'll have enough fuel to carry us through.

I came back exhausted from the Premier Basketball League's Washington DC Combines, and it was quite a sight - scores of young athletes trying to earn a place on the roster. I can't help but be impressed by the fact that many men have placed months of practice and years of hope on Sunday's Combine. Through my career I well remember the joys of victory and the hurt of defeat, as I'm sure you do too.

I'm having a fantastic time in the Scripture reading. I was given a "read through the Bible in a year" edition and I find it hard to put it down - as it is, I'm almost three weeks ahead of the reading. I'm now in the opening pages of the New Testament, of the coming of the Messiah. It's as exciting as the first time I heard the story.