Thursday, April 23, 2009

Psalm 143:10


Teach me to do your will,
for you are my God;
may your good Spirit
lead me on level ground.

I've highlighted the words that mean so much to me. God's will is what I want to do. My will is dull and dead-end, because it will only serve to focus attention on me, nad what eternal use is that? I serve God because I love Him...so much so that I call Him my God, and according to the Bible, He enjoys when I make that claim.

Having been a Boy Scout in my early years and a frequent guest to Yosemite National Park in my twenties, I can appreciate the next part: "Lead me on level ground." Just as I enjoy flat, easy-to-walk pathways, I enjoy it when I can get a break from the ups and downs of life and be able to settle into a pattern where I can concentrate on serving God and reaching out to others. There's a peace I get when reading the Bible that nothing else can give me.