Friday, February 06, 2009

Superhero Convention Part 2


(Please refer to my first Superhero post a few days before the Super Bowl. Now that everything has calmed down since my trip to Tampa, I can get back to this story.)


I truly believed that I could call the great heroes of the universe together and organize an ad-hoc Justice league of my own. Think of it! We could protect the world from all of the ills of the 60's... if we could just get organized. And I, a second grader from Dallastown Elementary, would be the one to bring them together.


Why I believed that the titans of the world would gather and obey my instructions, I cannot tell you. I just figured that they, being fair and kind much like they were in the comic books, would allow me to be President Elect or Headquarters guy or something. How I was supposed to know where the immediate crimes were? I hadn't figured that out either - the first thing was to get organized, for crying out loud.


So I found a hunk of cardboard that was about 3 feet square and set to work on it with crayons. It said this:


ATTENTION SUPER HEROS

of any powers. All are welcome.


TIME TO ORGANIZE.

Meet at Dallastown Park

at home plate today at 3 p.m.


ALL SUPER HEROS WELCOME.



I went down - so help me, a second grader - to Gladfelter's Furniture and was going to ask them to put it in their window, but when I got in the store, it was too quiet and ornate. I chickened out, and went outside. I propped it in front of the store on the sidewalk and took off. Nobody should know it was me who put the sign there. All things secret.


I hung back throughout the afternoon - not wanting to give away my secret identity. That, plus the risk of getting yelled at by the old guy sitting near the monkey bars. 2:45 p came and i was in a sweat. 2:55. 2:59.


They would all fly in, at the last minute.


3 p.m.


Gosh, these guys aren't punctual. Still, they have floods and fires to take care of...


... at 3:30 p.m. I walked back to Charles Street and went to my room, half disappointed and yet relieved a bit as well. I wasn't sure what to do if a whole mob of heroes with assorted powers showed up.


But I loved strenght and action in a person. That's probably why Mark is one of my favorite books. Jesus is portrayed as doing, going, moving, active.


He's the God-man, who stunned the disciples by calming the sea in a superhero way. Their reaction?



They were terrified and asked each other, “Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!” (Mark 4:41)


When I first started learning about Jesus' abilities to defy the laws of the "normal" nature around Him, I got intrigued. This One who came to earth to heal and do wonders - why was He doing this?


My journey was starting...