Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Being a Christian and Have a Great Time - is it allowed?

Halftime at the Super Bowl. Here's the funny thing - we tend to separate the secular from the sacred in many areas of our life, especially when it comes to sports. I mean, why bring Jesus into all of this - "does He love the winning team more than the losing team?", etc.

But I think it's your perspective.

I don't think of it along that pathway. I see sports - as a participant or a player - more as an extension of our need for an energetic diversion from our workaday world. I see it as a way for friends to chat about the lighter things of life and for people to find a fun way to socialize.

As I stood there throughout the game enjoying the singing of the National Anthem, the Springsteen concert/fireworks display, and the back-slapping that total strangers were exchanging with me, I remember openly thanking the Lord - I mean it - and just letting Him know that I so much appreciated this as one of the times when God just said, "You've put in a pretty hard work schedule in life - just go act goofy and have fun."

And I did.