Monday, September 22, 2008

Monday


After the mountaintop, you sometimes experience the valley...


After a great Bible study time at the U.T. campus, I came home and experienced a familiar feeling last night around 11 p.m.: the back pain again.


This time it was brutal. My lower spine felt like I was laying on broken glass.


I paced the floor all night, barely getting over an hour of sleep. Couldn't think straight, get my thoughts together. I broke out in a sweat, because of the pain, and developed shivers. Massive headache set in. Nausea. Work, of course, was impossible, so I spent the day at home, literally on my back.


I'm trying to avoid surgery - the surgeon is definitely telling me it is an uneasy option due to the aftereffects - and I am down to taking in liquids only as well as spending incredible amounts of time on my back. (In fact, I snuck to the back part of the church on Sunday and lay on my back between for a good ten minutes in order to relieve the pressure.)


Lord, if this might pass...


... I will surely remember the simple joy of being able to sit or stand without pain. And right now, to be pain-free ... that's pretty high up on my prayer list.