Sunday, September 03, 2006

Struggles in this world...can make us better

I came home exhausted.

Not one of my free periods - before-school period or planning period or lunch period or even my time after school - remained available for me. Each time there was a tap on my door. A student needed advice or counsel. Literally, from the moment I stepped in the door of my schoolroom until I left at 6:30 p.m., I had been talking with students. I was worn out.

And you know something? I loved it.

I'm seeing God work, and He's giving me the privilege of being His channel. How could I be upset witht that? Give me a busy day over a boring day any time. I don't like complacency.

Often we will equate an easy and laid-back life as definitely blessed by the Lord, while those who might find struggle as being cursed by Satan.

The French Sculptor, Rodin, gave a good view of God's care in artwork he crafted. He shaped two small statues and put them side-by-side in a display. The first statue is made of smooth marble and is soft and sleek-looking, showing a human figure cradled in a hand that portrays complacency, peace, and quietness. The human figure seems to be free of any distrations. Rodin called this work "The Hand of the Devil." The second piece, however is rough and active-looking. Rodin designed a powerful-looking hand holding a figure of humanity and carrying it, rising upward to new life. The artist called this work "The Hand of God."

Rodin's message is that while Satan would try to lull us into complacency, God's care and desire may seem rough and unsettled, but it is in His desire to carry us into an eternal joy and higher calling. Challenges are what hones the Believer. The diamond must be cut in order to show its beauty.