Thursday, September 07, 2006

CHRIST IN THE PSALMS

From the outset, we have the announcement that the Messiah will come and be victorious. Psalm 2 tells us that this Gift from God will be most terrible to those who reject it. Read verses 1 through 6 to get a good idea of what is going on.

Then we see the promise that Jesus will indeed rise after His suffering and crucifixion: "For thou wilt not suffer thine Holy One to see corruption" - Psalms 16:10. David told of His resurrection in this passage. This anointed One was to speak and teach in parables.
Psalms 78:2 - I will open my mouth in a parable... Indeed, Jesus was even questioned by His disciples for sharing so many puzzling parables.

We reach the amazingly accurate portrayal of Christ on the cross in Psalms 22-24. This passage is now as the Messianic Psalm passage, telling of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The very words Jesus cried out are found here (v. 1), a full 700 years before Christ was born in Bethlehem: My God, my God, why have You forsaken me? His piercing was predicted centuries before the Romans had borrowed the idea of crucifixion from the Persians (v.16) : They pierced my hands and my feet... Even the act of gambling for Christ’s clothes were predicted (v.18): They divide my garments among them, And for my clothing they cast lots.

Imagine you were able to accurately fulfill a prophecy from 700 years ago. What year would that be? ___________

The Psalms give an advance view even to astonishing detail. We see a view of Christ’s ministry in Psalms 113-118 , known as the Egyptian Hallel . Surprisingly descriptive words concerning Christ’s anguish are found in 116: 3 The sorrows (literally ropes ) of death compassed me, and the pains of hell got hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow. We also see Him in victory in 118: 22 The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner. 23 This is the LORD's doing; it is marvellous in our eyes. 24 This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

We see Christ’s painful agony and deep sorrow in Psalm 88 in the Garden, a pain that goes above the physical realm: 18 Lover and friend has thou put far from me, and mine acquaintance into darkness. This verse alone could be meditated upon indefinitely, for there are few things on earth as painful as utter loneliness. The most hardened criminals are given one of the most severe punishments short of death: solitary confinement. Christ willingly took on the loneliness of all ages when He agreed to go to the cross for our sins.

Yet Psalm 89 is His speaking of the Father's love and faithfulness: "1 I will sing of the mercies of the LORD forever: with my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations."

Does God love us? A tell-tale sign is by the quality of gifts given to the recipient. Jesus himself said, "Now suppose one of you fathers is asked by his son for a fish; he will not give him a snake instead of a fish, will he?" (Luke 11:11) There are no substitutes here; the Father needed to get the proper gift at the right time, in the right place for the right reason - and it was done.