Thursday, June 15, 2006

A shocking death

I was stunned to hear of the death of one of my former youth group members. "Trey" (not his real name) was 32 years old, found floating face-down near a beach off of the San Diego coast. I am stunned. This was one of my most trusted members, a boy who was constantly wanting to know the Scripture anbd God's leading, a fellow who was very disciplined and well-liked by all. He stood out in his public high school, a real model and a standup kid. He was a Navy Seal and a highly regarded member of the military.

One of his friends met me this week and let me know of his death. Speculation is that it was a violent death, not a suicide. He had been cited for five DUIs in the past, a life that tanked soon after he graduated from high school. I am bewildered. Why do teens do this stuff? How hard the Devil pulls at these kids.

It's what gives me renewed conviction to do everything possible to bring God's love and leading to the forefront knowledge in every student I meet.

-----------------------

"Oh, this is a reality, not a fable, that the Lord Jesus Christ is our friend. And we should not be satisfied till we are brought to this."
-George Muller