Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Memory


Psa 139:1-4
O LORD, You have searched me and known {me.} You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You understand my thought from afar. You scrutinize my path and my lying down, And are intimately acquainted with all my ways. Even before there is a word on my tongue, Behold, O LORD, You know it all.

I find this passage especially striking because I am a person who forgets a lot. A LOT.


I write things down on a calendar - and guess what: I lose the calendar. I am not making this up. In college I was given a Day-Timer schedule book as a gift. I lost it within a week.


Computer filing has been the greatest thing for me. Having cohorts who work alongside me in business is also a Godsend. They will remind and notify me whenever I'm off my schedule. Hmmm, that would be about every three hours or so.

Then there is the name-forgetful faux pas experience I endure just about every week. Yesterday I was shopping and the clerk was a student of mine - for two years. That was only two years ago. I needed to look at his name tag. He saw me doing it.

I can't remember the main characters in a movie five minutes after we leave the theater. In fact, sometimes during the movie I forget their names. Pitiful, I know.

Yet the Lord knows me intimately. When I'm hurt and when I'm on top of the world. When I'm sneaky and when I'm sympathetic. And when I'm grieving to know Him better.











Luk 12:7
"Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered..."