Thursday, March 12, 2009

Life Lessons In Wrestling


I was never an outstanding athlete.


In fact, at best I believe I was fairly mediocre.


Oh, there were times when I won some sort of trophy here or there, but mostly I wore the label "average, not exceptional" of which so many of us are familiar.


I wrestled in high school, maintaining a love/hate affair with it that takes too long to explain. If you've been a wrestler, you know what I'm talking about.


My story for today concerns the match that wore me out. Completely.


Our high school division maintained that wrestling matches between opponents would consist of three 2 minute rounds. We were playing against a cross-state rival and I was competing in the 138 pound class.


My opponent was the same age as I, and was a rookie on the varisty team as well. As we started the match, I felt a sudden surge of excitement. I was stronger than this guy. In fact, I could move him around at will. I was going to destroy this little cretin. Ha! I could sense the kill when after the first period, I jumped out to a 4-0 lead. In the second period I was muscling him all over the mat. He was flopping around, diving and scrambling with his legs while I forearmed, pulled and grappled with him, flexing my now bulging muscles.


And that was my mistake.


I was trying to out-muscle him. And in the third period it caught up. My arms were shot. I mean, they were dead. And slowly, slowly, he climbed back in points. I could hardly pull myself up. My biceps were twitching from fatigue. Exhausted, I felt myself being pulled and shoved now. The little-regarded opponent now was within one point.


I still could not respond, only try to escape and buy time. But it didn't happen. With twenty seconds left he took me down and had a near pin. By the time the clock ran out, the underdog had beaten me by two points.


Man, I thought I had this guy. I knew I had him.


But as I sat in the hallway, stunned, I came to a great realization that day. I was not as strong as I thought. My concept of my endurance was much, much less than I had ever imagined. Hey, I was limited! I think all of us come to this epiphany sometime in our young life - and this was one of mine. I began to realize that not only could I be defeated, I could actuially defeat myself, as I had done in the match. By not pacing myself or by patiently thinking through the approaching moves, I set myself up for a fall.


My Christian walk was that way as well. I was in the emotionalism, social enjoyment and excitable events that made up a teen group calendar. But relying on Jesus? Well, why should i, I reasoned. He let me walk this earth, and live my own life, right? I can make it on my own.


But I found out, as I did in this wrestling meet, that my attempts at serving Him and living for Him through the teen years and adulthood trials of life would take much more than my own strength, I didn't know how to pace myself. I wore out too quickly. I needed the quiet, lone times with Him in prayer and reading in order to build trust and renew my spirit.


And those renewal times with Jesus, my friend, have been the best times of my life.



Isa. 40:31 - But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; they shall walk, and not faint.