Friday, May 27, 2011

Mark 10:45



"For the Son of man also came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."




ransom: lutron - "a means of loosing" (from luo, "to loose")

It's used in the Middle Voice, meaning "to release by paying a ransom price, to redeem." Infact, lutroo signifies deliverance, the actual setting at liberty.


We get caught up in the many rabbit trails of the Christian life and often we even forget one of the most powerful truths about Jesus Himself: He set us free. Free.


In college sports, I tore multiple ligaments in my right knee, forcing me to go from crutches to a cane for a number of months and even through a whole summer. Limping about, creaking and groaning. Stumbling about...


I can then recall the glorious day when I was able to put away the cane and be able to walk on my own two feet once again! Free to do what I was born to do - walk normally.


I can also recall the realization of coming to Jesus and seeing Him do what only He could do - set me free from sin and its grip. I was paid for. I was set free.


And in being set free, I ran back to Him and let Him take over. It's still an incredible freedom.