Thursday, July 16, 2009

What I owe


I love the depth of Oswald Chambers' work. His insight, like CS Lewis, forces me to pause and reflect. Here are some of his words concerning the passage in Romans:


"I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the barbarians." Romans 1:14
"Paul was overwhelmed with the sense of his indebtedness to Jesus Christ, and he spent himself to express it. The great inspiration in Paul's life was his view of Jesus Christ as his spiritual creditor. Do I feel that sense of indebtedness to Christ in regard to every unsaved soul?"


Chambers' words strike deep. Have I been really absorbed in not only pleasing Christ but in reaching others for Him? I get caught up in my work in the sportswriting world and in the editing work I am doing for corporations, I tend to forget that there are plenty of people I can reach for Christ. Each day this summer is a new opportunity.


Right now I teach a summer series on Wednesday night to students. Have I asked questions about their souls? Have I showed them Jesus? I've been dealing with sports team owners around the country. Have I been the right witness? Have my words pointed to or away from Jesus?


I want to keep these thoughts forefront.