Monday, May 04, 2009

new week


It has been about five straight days of rain. The azaleas are in bloom.

This is the our last week with Nicholas in the household. As of Saturday he will be a married man. he and Alexis will be settlign in Jonesborough TN as he pursues a career in the Air National Guard. I can still recall him as a child with me pushing him around the house on a Big Wheel truck (yes, it was indoors - we did get a bit rowdy) and his holiday school recitations onstage while a student at Faith Christian School in NC. And now he is ready to start his own heritage. I am saddened by our loss of his immediate presence here but joyful that he is blessed with a wonderful wife and a great start on a new life.

While I was speaking at a church class, I encountered a man in his thirties, a gentleman who was suffering greatly. "Paul" was enduring the loss of his home and a family tragedy. He told me he felt empty, a shell that just moved around and functioned. I listened and listened. I've been there. It was a powerful way for me to help someone, for me to tell someone that hey, I felt the same way. I shared Romans 8 but mostly I listened. Please remember this hurting gentleman. I will be contacting him throughout the week.

This is a big week. Lots to do, especially with the American Basketball Association. The ABA is really doing a powerful job of renovation and restoration. I'm busy with teams almost 24/7.