Monday, November 24, 2008

This Thanksgiving week

So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. - Col. 2: 6,7


thankfulness "eucharistia" - giving of thanks, expression of gratitude or appreciation

Bible scholar Faussett says as Christian advance to maturity they showgratefulness "to God as the gracious Author of this whole blessing."

I like how Matthew Henry states it: "Being established in the faith, we must abound therein, and improve in it more and more; and this with thanksgiving. The way to have the benefit and comfort of God’s grace is to be much in giving thanks for it. We must join thanksgiving to all our improvements, and be sensible of the mercy of all our privileges and attainments."

Henry reminds us that we should never forget that it is by the mercy of God that we get any blessing, any favor, any benefit - it all comes from Him. In this society, we like to think that our advantages are brought about by our own effort and guile, but it's far, far from the truth. I am reminded of that every time I finish my next novel. There's nothing so humbling as a rejection slip, believe me. When I stare at that short papragraph of polite denial, I realize how fortunate I am to be a published author at all, let alone for these past years. Being a writer is like walking a tightrope. You may feel fine as you inch forward, but you realize you could fall off the rope at any time - meaning, you've got to start peddling your wares right from Square One. I'm thankful for every contract I sign.


And I'm thankful for every blessing God gives. As the late great Walter Fremont used to say, "Thank the Lord for every blessing in your life! Take a day and walk around your house, thanking the Lord for all things - the sofa, the refrigerator, the heating unit, the coffee table, the food in your pantry... everything! And when you finish, you'll have a different attitude about the things about you and the God above you."


How very true.