Monday, November 17, 2008

Family


I had an evening I will long remember. I was invited to speak at a concert/rally at Ridgeview Baptist Church here in Knoxville on Friday night. A young college-age band by the name of Two Empty Chairs comprised of the evening program, and I was honored to meet these fine young men who made up the ministry team. They had a true desire to see people learn about Jesus Christ, and it showed as much off the stage as on. Eric Webb was a student of mine about two years back, and he was one of the key components in making this event happen. I am constantly perplexed as to why people will ask me to speak at events such as this - it is truly humbling, considering the vast number of better speakers available. However, I asked the Lord to hide me behind His message, and served as best I knew how.


-------------------


The economy and needs of the family have forced me to take on an evening job in addition to my daytime career. This is truly a humbling experience, but it's also been a great teaching time for me. I have had to go back to the classroom to be trained (which is always healthy for me anyway) and it's also put me in a new environment. I am gaining new friends and hope to be sharing the Lord with them soon.


The worst part, however, is being away from the family. I cannot tell you how much I miss my wife, my boys and my little girl each evening. The Greek word for "family" is patria and denotes a people that share. They share the same lineage, the same holidays, hopes, failures, "secret words", jokes and memories. The absence of the sharing time with my family has made the minutes I can be with them more precious, and in the midst of this very hard year for all of yus, I see the Lord slowly binding the five of us together closer than we have ever been. Our patria is knitting tightly. I see Jesus becoming more powerful in our household.


I find this hard to believe that I am actually saying this, but in a way, that makes this all worth it.