Tuesday, April 22, 2008

God Inhabits Praise


Psalms 22:3 give us a curious phrase about God: He inhabits the praises of His people. He inhabits the praise? We know He listens and enjoys the praises, but this word makes the knowledge of our praises much more serious.


Dr. Dale Robbins (victorious.org) says : The Bible says that God inhabits in the praises of His people (Psalms 22:3). In other words, God “dwells” in the atmosphere of His praise. This means that praise is not merely a reaction from coming into His presence - Praise is a vehicle of faith which brings us into the presence and power of God! Praise and worship is the “gate-pass” which allows us to enter the sacredness of His glory.


The AllAbout God devotional says: If we want to see a clear manifestation of God's blessings and grace, all we need to do is to praise Him with all our heart, our mind, and our soul.





"For great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; he is to be feared above all gods" (Psalm 96:4).


"Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom" (Psalm 145:3).


"I call to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies" (2 Samuel 22:4).


"You are worthy, our LORD and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being" (Revelation 4:11).


Perhaps my favorite commentary about inhabiting praise is from Pastor Eugene P. Harder of New Hope Community Church in British Columbia:


My Bible tells me that God enjoys warm, lavish, extravagant praise just as much as I enjoy it. It says, "God inhabits the praise of his people."
Have you ever been around these religious freaks who shuffle around mumbling under their breath, "Praise the Lord, praise the Lord?" There is a preacher on Radio KARI who every day says, "Repeat after me ten times; praise the Lord." My reaction is, "man, that's weird."
Let's examine the expression, "Praise the Lord." Praise the Lord is an injunction, a command or an order. It's the same grammatical construction as "Wash the dishes." You don't wash the dishes by saying, "wash the dishes." You could repeat a million times "wash the dishes" and not one dish would get washed. You don't praise the Lord by saying, "Praise the Lord." You praise the Lord by saying words like, "God you're so kind, loving and merciful to me, thank you, thank you, thank you."
Sometimes we'll sing a song like, "Praise the name of Jesus, Praise the name of Jesus." What are we doing when we say those words? We are inviting, exhorting and commanding one another to praise the name of Jesus. Then together we begin to praise the name of Jesus with the following words in the song, "He's my rock, he's my fortress, He's my deliverer in Him will I trust." Those are the words of praise that cause relationships with God to blossom.
It's my prayer that this message will motivate you to Praise God with a lavish bouquet of extravagant words and music." If God is real, He deserves my praise.