Friday, February 15, 2008

What Does This Mean?


James 1:18 - He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.


As you read through this chapter, you can see God’s mercy and love in making the way to our salvation. After all, He made possible our salvation and gave us spiritual life by His word of truth. That explains to me why the Bible is so important in my life, but what does it mean when it says that we might be firstfruits of His entire harvest?


The firstfruits were the first gathered fruits of a harvest, such as grain or grapes, that were offered to God in gratitude for the harvest He made possible. They were also a sign that there was a larger harvest to follow. As I study this word I keep seeing the word "consecrated" used in the reference to the offering. That's what you and I should be - consecrated. Now, some scholars think James could have been speaking of his own generation of believers and others think he meant a wider redemption, and you and I are the firstfruits of that wider redemption to come.

Whatever the specific reference, there is one truth in which we can agree: James wants us to realize that Christians are to be consecrated, so that others might see our testimony and be led to interest in seeing what the Kingdom is all about.

Students often ask me why I don't drink alcohol or smoke or have ever tried recreational drugs. Besides the obvious health benefits (and let's face it, folks, the health risks of these things IS obvious. let's not be blind to this) there is the testimony factor. I want my non-Christian friends to see the joy I have in the Lord and the fact that I don't need a physical diversion to make me happy. I want them to see that Believers are indeed different and in a good sense. I don't need to browbeat people into the Kingdom; I show them that the pathway is a pretty exciting lane to take. That's a bit of what I see consecration to mean.