Thursday, February 14, 2008

Standing in the Storm


James 1:12 - Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.
In this verse, what does the word "trial" mean? What is the depth of that word?
The Greek word for trial is "hupomeno" and can be translated as "to be able to endure, bear ill treatment bravely and calmly."
That means that I should be able to not only stand in the storm, but also to move forward against the wind. Really, think about this: most people can hang on to a pillar or hide in a trench when a storm hits. But what about the brave souls who must face the storm head-on and walk into it in order to protect a life or save someone from injury? There are a lot less people who would do that.
Why?
Because most of us are afraid. Chicken. Scared of what might happen.
And that's normal. That's human thinking.
But by the power of the Lord Jesus Christ through which we can do all things, we block out the fears, the imaginations and the self-absorbed phobias ... and we go, protected by Him who loves us.
At this stage of my life, more than ever, I want to be able to walk face-on into the storm. I want to take the steps that the Savior would have for me. But often I get confused and even quite a bit scared. After all... humanly speaking, these things are pretty hard to accomplish.
But that's when I let Jesus do it all. It's what I should have been letting Him do all along, but you know how stupid I can get.
He becomes my Umbrella, my Shield, my Tank, my Path, my Light...everything that would lead me to a successful journey for His sake.
Remember, James is saying to do more than hang on through the storm. He's saying get out into the rain and march forward.