Tuesday, February 12, 2008

This great book of James


I would have liked to have met James. He remind me of the people in my family when I was growing up: open, straightforward, even loud. He'd never be confused with a quiet person, but I don't see him as arrogant, either. You can see James' heart in this book, and yet you can read his no-nonsense approach to letting you know the direction he's heading. I like James because he speaks of God without pomp. He's more concerned with the flooring and stonework than he is the lace curtains. Give me James anytime!


Matthew Henry states that part of the purpose of the writng of this Biblical book is to make us aware of coming judgments "...and to support all true Christians in the way of their duty, under the calamities and persecutions they might meet with."



Verse 2: "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds..." The Greek word for trial is peirasmos and can be translated as a testing, a trial, a proving or even an experiment. These last two definitions stick with me most, because it reminds me of the above picture I've inserted: a proving grounds for automobiles. The picture I've added here is one of the old proving grounds for General Motors near Mesa Arizona. Here the manufacturers would take a car out of these long tracks and run them hard, spin them out, race them fast, keep them going. Why? To prove that the car has the right to be on the showroom floor. To see if the car meets the standards set by the authorities. To see if the car will last. Is it an experiment? Yes. Will some cars come up short. Yes.
Christians get out into the world and are run through the same proving ground. God allows the world to take Chrisians and run them hard, spin them out, race them fast, keep them going.
Why?
To prove that the Christian has the right to be on the showroom floor. To see if the Christian meets the standards set by the Authority. To see if the Christian will last.




Henry, Matthew. "Introduction to James." Matthew Henry Commentary on the Whole Bible. Blue Letter Bible. 01 Mar 1996.