Friday, April 06, 2007

Good Friday


Germans call this day what could be considered "Mourning Friday." In Russia today is known as "Passion Friday." Why does the English-speaking world call it "Good Friday?" Numerous sources show us that it is a change in the form of God the Father; it actually means "God's Friday" or "God Friday."


We reflect on Christ's suffering today, how He suffered as payment for our sins. The Believer in Christ, is then told that his walk with be a walk with suffering as well. Have we considered this, in a society of ease such as ours?


The Puritan pastor John Flavel exhorted people to consider the cost before calling upon Christ as Savior:


"If I open to Christ, this I shall gain, but that I must lose; I cannot separate Christ from sufferings: Christ will separate me from my sins; if I seek him, I must let them go; if I profess Christ, Providence will one time or other bring me to this dilemma, either Christ or earthly comforts must go. It is necessary, therefore, that I now propound to myself what Providence may, one time or other, propound to me. He hath set down his terms: 'If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross and follow me. '"

(Christ Knocking at the Door of Sinners Hearts [Grand Rapids: Baker, 1978 reprint], p. 183).