Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Closeness of God Himself


I just got back from Maryland, driving through back to Tennessee in 11 hours. I left on Saturday morning and drove back on Monday morning, and I am tired but happy. It was a great trip, getting to see my family - my mom and dad, brothers and sisters - once again.


There is a closeness to family that you cannot replicate anywhere else. This is true in God's dealing with us.


What intrigues me is that God displays to us one of His names as Father. The thought, then, is that He wants us to see Him as more than Creator. He wants to allow us to let Him draw near to us. He wants to be one-on-one.


We hear so may people talk about this belief, but where does the Bible show it?


Job 34:19: For God carefully watches the way people live; he sees everything they do.


Mattew 11: 28 - Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest."


James 4:8 - Come near to God and he will come near to you.


Zeph. 3:17 - The LORD your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with his love, He will rejoice over you with singing.


Jeremiah 31:3-4 - The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: ‘I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. I will build you up again and you will be rebuilt, O Virgin Israel. Again you will take up your tambourines and go out to dance with the joyful.’