Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Talking to an atheist

I had an interesting interchange last week. A teacher from another school - an avowed atheist, I am told - sent word through one of my students that he questioned how I could possibly believe in creation by God rather than evolution. He was a committed Darwinist., and how could anyone believe otherwise. I asked him to explain the guilt feeling we all get when we do wrong - where would that arise, if we were truly to follow the "survival of the fittest" thinking?

He replied by saying that evolutionists believe that guilt was an adapted (may I say adopted?) trait in order to make us a superior species.

Not so, I replied. If that were so, then the Darwinist has taken a backward step. The lion would not be king of the jungle if he carried guilt. We could not be the superior being (in Darwin's logic) if we carried remorse or regret for what we do. The evolutionist has gone against his own philosophy. Survival of the fittest, with no hesitation.

Furthermore, if the universe has no meaning...why do we as humans keep looking for meaning?

The atheist has yet to reply.