Tuesday, October 18, 2005

He doesn't change

I can remember it well.

One of the men at church "Gabe" had obtained a pass for me to join him ON THE SIDELINES of the Tennessee-Notre Dame game in Knoxville. We would be handling the cables for ESPN TV. My friend had been working with the college and had some inside favors owed him - "Gabe" invited me to help haul cables and get the best view anyone could get in the stadium - right on the sideline!

At the same time, I was being offered seats on the ten yard line by another friend. I was nervous, now...I had already promised Gabe that I was going ...but I knew he had a problem of not following through with his promises. I sat and sweated it out. Would I be able to get on the sidelines.

The day of the game came and I got the call that upset me greatly. True to form, Gabe had fallen through...I not only lost a chance to be on the sidelines, I had lost the other seats, because the tickets were given away. Gabe never apologized, but simply hid out from me for a few months.

Although I forgave Gabe and it's not such a big thing, I was quite upset with the fact that it would be hard for me to trust this good friend. It wasn't the first time he had let me down.

I delight in the immutability of God. He doesn't change, and so I can sompletely trust Him and His Word:

I the LORD do not change. So you, O descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed. MAL 3:6

Don't be deceived, my dear brothers. 17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. 18 He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created. JAS 1:16

But what the LORD has planned will stand forever. His thoughts never change. Psalms 33:11 (CEV)

You are always the same. Years cannot change you. Psalms 102:27 (CEV)

Gabe will always be a good friend to me. God is even more than a friend. He is a confidant. He is my Father. He is my Strong Tower, One who will never shake in His foundations.