Monday, July 16, 2012

The summer's work and the heart's desire

Jill, Julie and I will be flying out to Salinas CA for my work in a youth camp in the central part of the state during July. This is the highlight of my summer. To be truthful, the rest from school was much needed for all of us, and the break has provided us with a time of physical and spiritual refreshment. But now, to the mission work ahead. It is amazing to see the power of God work in lives, especially those of teens... I get excited because it is not I, but Christ that works within me... Really, in all of our Zockoll "ministry team." Jill's caring and quiet spirit ministers to many a person, and Julianne's enthusiasm for Jesus is contagious. Each day I am reminded of how little I can humanly do, but that as I lean upon the power and direction of the unseen Christ in prayerful reliance, we all can walk away from any event and see that God has indeed been at work. Last week a student wrote me and let me know that he had used notes from Bible class to successfully defend against attacks on his faith. Man, that was an uplifting time as I saw that once again, God's Word will not return void. Less of me, more of Him. That's my prayer for these next weeks and this coming year, and yes, the rest of my earthly life.