Friday, November 27, 2009

Communication


But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person-such a man is an idolater-has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

My professional career has been centered around communication. I've worked in radio stations in Ohio, North Carolina and Tennessee; I've written nine novels and have been an author of textbooks, press releases, online adventure series and even animated cartoons. Communication is a big part of my corporate life.

I can recall one time when I hosted a midnight call-in radio program and we had a guest who claimed to be a Christian and yet disavowed the validity of the Bible and denounced the deity of Christ, merely calling him a "super-scientist" in order to explain His miracles. The phone lines were flooded and some people even wanted to come to the station and confront this man on some of the blaspheming statements he was making - at 2:30 in the morning! You see, communication - good or bad- can stir people into action.

I'm committing my speech to emphasize thanksgiving more. The word in Ephesians 5:4 is eucharistia ...it simply means to have a mouth that gives thanks. It is a speech that uplifts and does not tear down. With some of my professional writing assignments this past year I have faced people who have skipped without paying me, others wanting to short-change me in other ways, and I end up griping and grousing about it - surely a justifiable action! But I find out it trains my speech to travel down that avenue in other areas. I want to complain about the car, my dinner, a TV show, the neighbor's dog, a late assignment... and on and on. Yet when I start to train my tongue in thanksgiving, I find the habit both enjoyable and refreshing for me and those around me. And I feel that God is pleased as well.