Thursday, January 15, 2009

On the Court


I think one of the last things I would have ever predicted as part of my career would be that of a sports columnist. But here I am, now writing for my second professional sports team. The American Basketball Association has placed a franchise here in Knoxville and the Glisson family, owners of the Thunderbolts, have taken me into the fold as a writer for the fledgling team. I am still a freelance writer, but this is part of my work.
Man, is this ever enjoyable. I get to run across town - often with my family in tow - and watch basketball and ice hockey (my other reporting assignment with the Ice Bears), reporting on whatever scenario I want to highlight.
The ABA has a freshness about it that I like. Everybody is friendly, and you can't help but get caught up in the "let's do it" attitude. They're small and they know it; the humility is a nice change from the major leagues. The Glissons have a perpetual optimistic approach to the future, and I am deeply impressed that this Christian family has sunk tons of money into mission work across the world.
What a new avenue for me. What fun.