Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The strange case of Craig

As I was running the track this morning I glanced at the school nearby and fell into a flood of memories about my high school years, to one of my wrestling teammates. When I first met Craig, I learned of his reputation as a pushy, mouthy, egocentric guy who liked picking on smaller people around him. Throught he months of the wrestling season, I became casually acquainted with Craig. He didn't bother me much, but I did see how he could get on people's nerves. He carried an air about him that rubbed people the wrong way. He dressed sloppily, never combed his long hair, and he was loud.

The wrestling season ended, and then the months of school flew by toward the summer. Since he was an upper classman, I didn't see much of Craig the rest of that year or in the summer months.

But in the fall as school started, I was surprised by what I saw. In fact, we all were.

Craig came into school wearing a short sleeved white shirt. His hair was cut to crewcut length. He sported a thin black tie. His black pants and shoes were immaculate. And he was quiet, polite, and reserved.

Ah, you think I'm going to say he became a Christian. No, not at all.

Craig had joined a cult. And in watching his change, i learned something about the Christian walk.

Craig avoided groups and kept to himself. He was mannerly, sure, but he and his sister stayed off to one side and carried an otherworldly gaze in their eyes. They finished up school neatly and reservedly, and we never heard from them again.

My point is this: whereas we saw a change in Criag, I don't think any of us really saw something we found attractive. Craig stopped befriending us. He avoided public gatherings and became withdrawn. He gave us no impression that we would want to be like him.

It helped me understand our Christian testimony's impact.