Thursday, August 16, 2007

Oswald Chambers


Here are profound thoughts from Oswald Chambers from his book My Utmost for His Highest:


When I have sadly misunderstood Him? (see John 20:11-18 ). It is possible to know all about doctrine and still not know Jesus. A person’s soul is in grave danger when the knowledge of doctrine surpasses Jesus, avoiding intimate touch with Him. Why was Mary weeping? Doctrine meant no more to her than the grass under her feet. In fact, any Pharisee could have made a fool of Mary doctrinally, but one thing they could never ridicule was the fact that Jesus had cast seven demons out of her (see Luke 8:2 ); yet His blessings were nothing to her in comparison with knowing Jesus Himself. ". . . she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, and did not know that it was Jesus. . . . Jesus said to her, ’Mary!’ " ( John 20:14, 16 ). Once He called Mary by her name, she immediately knew that she had a personal history with the One who spoke. "She turned and said to Him, ’Rabboni!’ " ( John 20:16 ).


In summary (I speak especially to my students from years past) it is of the greatest importance to remember that mere Biblical memorization does not automatically open the door to a oneness with Jesus. Just as I cannot say that I personally know Babe Ruth or Neil Armstrong just because I have memorized knowledge about them, I cannot honestly say that my intellectual grasp of Jesus is enough. It is the experience of submission, frisndhip and worship that completes the bridgespan.